Pennsylvania Ave. Construction Starts June 26
Road between College and Rawson avenues will be widened to four lanes, and feature accommodations for bicyclists and pedestrians and improved street lighting.
The reconstruction of Pennsylvania Avenue between Rawson and College will begin in earnest June 26.
That's when crews will commence construction on expanding that stretch of Pennsylvania to four lanes. Plans also call for accommodations for bicyclists and pedestrians and improved street lighting.
The road will be closed while construction is ongoing, city Design Engineer Matt Sullivan said. Work is expected to continue through the fall.
Over the next week, signage will be put up to inform motorists of the impending work road work, Sullivan added.
The road is being widened in part to help alleviate traffic congestion, which can get especially heavy during the rush hour.
The state Department of Transportation is paying 80 percent of the roughly $4.2 million cost. The remaining 20 percent is split between Oak Creek and South Milwaukee, which has jurisdiction over the east side of the road (Nicholson Road).
Click here for a previous Oak Creek Patch story on the project.