Top 10 Things To Do In Oak Creek This Winter
Don't hibernate this winter - there's plenty to do in your neighborhood.
It’s easy to give up on those New Year’s resolutions of getting fit, being active or just getting outside on those cold, flurry days.
Spending the day at home curled up with hot cocoa may seem more appealing than stepping a foot out the door, but Oak Creek offers plenty of activites to partake in during the winter.
Here are ten things you can over the next few months:
1) Flip through the Acorn
- The Oak Creek Parks and Recreation Department offers a plethora of activities for adults and kids year-round.
2) Make some tracks
- Oak Leaf Trail’s North Shore Spur is about 6 miles long and can be accessed on Drexel Avenue just east of Howell Avenue. It’s a great trail for hiking, snow shoeing and cross country skiing.
3) Lace a skate
- Henry Miller Park, 315 E. Groveland Dr., offers ice skating, weather permitting. Call (414) 299-9721 and press 1.
4) Grab a sled
- Two hills for your sledding pleasure: a park behind Pick 'n Save, 2320 W. Ryan Road, between 22nd Street and Briarwood Lane; and another behind the Glen Crossing subdivision, near 1200 Weatherly Drive.
5) Cast a line
- Use Bender Park, 4503 E. Ryan Road, to enjoy ice fishing on Lake Michigan.
6) Become a Mad Scientist
- Mad Science, 422 E. Oak St., offers an educational and entertaining science experience that is a unique hands-on adventure for children.
7) Hit the lanes
- Classic Lanes, 7501 S. Howell Ave., has open bowling weekdays for $2.99 and $3.29 on weekends.
8) Catch a flick
- The Value Cinema, 6912 S. 27th St., offers movies for $1.75 on Tuesdays, $2.75 on weekdays and $3.75 on the weekends.
- South Shore Cinema, 7261 S. 13th St., offers Frosty Flicks for $2 at 10 a.m. Saturdays and 11 a.m. Sundays from Feb. 6 to March 20.
9) Get crafty
- Visit the Oak Creek Community Center’s Spring Craft and Gift Show from 9a.m.-3p.m. Feb. 26.
10) Ride a chair lift
- Oak Creek’s neighbor, Franklin, hosts Crystal Ridge Skill Hill with one of the best bargains for skiing and snowboarding in the state. Prices range from $20-25 with hours from 5 to 9:30p.m. on weekdays, 5 to 10p.m. on Fridays and 10a.m. to 10p.m. on weekends.