Later this week, the Oak Creek and Sikh communities will begin to mark the anniversary with a series of events at the temple, 7512 S. Howell Ave. and elsewhere.
Here's a roundup of the events:
Friday, Aug. 2:
- At 10:30 a.m. ceremonies will start at the Sikh temple with Akhand Path, a continuous 48-hour recitation of Sikh holy scriptures, Shri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
- From 1:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., a remembrance will be held at the federal courthouse in Milwaukee, 517 E. Wisconsin Ave.
Saturday, Aug. 3:
- A 6k memorial run/walk called Chardhi Kala will start at 10 a.m. Registration will start at 8:30 a.m. on the Oak Creek High School track, 340 E. Puetz Rd. Food and games will follow the 6K. For more information and to register, visit http://www.chardhikala6k.org/
Sunday, Aug. 4:
- Following the conclusion of Akhand Path at 10:30 a.m., hymns will be sung in praise of God called Kirtan at 11 a.m. at the Temple. Tributes to those killed on Aug. 5, 2012 will follow and conclude at 3 p.m.
Monday, Aug. 5:
- From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., the temple will hold a contemplative meditation.
- The ceremonies will conclude with a community candlelight vigil at 8 p.m.
Langar (community meal) will be served throughout the four days of ceremonies.
Visit the Sikh Temple of Wisconsin website for more information on the memorial anniversary ceremonies.
And look for much more coverage of the anniversary later this week on Oak Creek Patch.