An Oak Creek father whose son died last year after playing the "Choking Game" was among the parents interviewed Monday night in a special report on the WISN 12 News.
Craig Wittek shared the story of his son, Gage, a 12-year-old who died in September, with WISN's Christina Palladino. Craig found his son with a plastic bag over his head and a belt around his neck.
Gage was in seventh grade at South Milwaukee Middle School at the time of his death.
Channel 12, Patch's new media partners, talked to five families about their sons who died from “the choking game." The goal of the "game," popular among some young teenagers, is to achieve a quick high by temporarily cutting off the flow of oxygen to the brain. It's called auto-asphyxiation, and is usually accomplished by one person choking another or a person using a rope or other material to induce their own choking.
In Racine, a mom whose 15-year-old son died in December while playing the game has launched an initiative aimed at increasing awareness about the problem.
“A lot of schools are afraid to mention this because they think they are giving ideas to our children, but the truth is that they already know what it is and we’re doing a disservice to them in not talking about it,” Jeana Monroe told Caledonia Patch in a story last month.