.

Threats of Violence Made At Oak Creek High School

While the threat is not considered credible, police will have an increased presence at the school this week.

Threats of violence Friday at Oak Creek High School have resulted in an increased police presence at the school this week.

In a letter to parents, Superintendent Sara Burmeister said the threat is not considered credible, but the Oak Creek Police Department is taking it seriously and investigating.

"This rumor has raised considerable anxiety among parents, coming as it does right after the unfathomable horror of the tragic shootings in Connecticut and while the shooting at the Sikh Temple is still fresh in our minds," Burmeister said.

"Please know that our administrative staff and our police department have all been responding to and investigating all information regarding the threat, which appears to be circulating primarily through social networking/media."

Those who provided false information or tried to generate more threats face "significant consequences," Burmeister said in the letter, which is also posted on the district's website.

Similar threats for Friday—the Mayan calendar's end of the world—have been made in other school districts in southeastern Wisconsin.

Jason M December 19, 2012 at 04:41 PM
Don't give in. 99% chance this is just a few idiots trying to extend their winter break by one more day. Make them sit in class all day. These kids need to be taught a lesson in respect. You can't scare people to get a day off of school.
OC Mom December 19, 2012 at 04:50 PM
I have a child at the high school and I never received a letter about this. How come this Patch story is the first I am hearing of this?
NZ December 19, 2012 at 05:04 PM
I just called the school, as I have 2 students there, and they said the letter is going out with students today. It is posted on the district's website as well. Basically, saying what the Patch has reported - increase police presence as a precaution based on rumors spreading on social media which started yesterday.
OCHS Parent December 19, 2012 at 05:08 PM
My neighbor stopped me in the driveway this morning at 6:30 am to discuss. She was alerted by her child. This was the first I heard of it and my kids knew nothing.
OC Mom December 19, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Thank you OCNZ for sharing this information. I thought maybe we were missed with the letter.
livingintheOC December 19, 2012 at 06:27 PM
Can we get the city to just keep an email list and send out a message when they need too?
Sandy C December 19, 2012 at 06:40 PM
My daughter is in middle school and was talking about it because teens were posting info all over FB about it. Told her I wouldn't believe til I heard it from The Patch. Rumors circulated yesterday so a letter couldn't really go home until today.
Deannawi24 December 19, 2012 at 07:01 PM
Not sure I want to chance it and send my child to school Friday. Are there any other parents keeping their children home?
Connie Ploch December 19, 2012 at 07:54 PM
There is already an email system in place that we've received alerts about late starts, etc.
Stephnie December 19, 2012 at 07:55 PM
I know that I am keeping mine home. A few of my friends are too. I agree that it is probably a hoax and that there's a 99 % chance. Bt in light of recent events, that 1 % is too real. I am not gambling with my kids.
Deannawi24 December 19, 2012 at 09:11 PM
I agree Stephanie. I think I'm going to do the same. It's just not worth taking the chance.
Jim December 19, 2012 at 10:54 PM
What needs to happen to these kids that are making threats or even false threats have to be punished. Severely. No more slaps on the wrist like that kid in Franklin earlier this year. They need a year in juvey and the story plastered all over the news.
mom December 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM
My daughter and several other girls were talking about this on Tuesday. They are genuinely terrified to go to school. Rumors can become reality, are you willing to take that chance that it is just a rumor with your Childs life? Not me.
vocal local 1 December 20, 2012 at 08:54 AM
I would think a year in Juvey or even a referral to the county Juvenile courts is too harsh. I would make them research and write a paper on what they did, the cost, the consequences, to teach them why what they did is wrong and to pay for their folly. If you want to put them in the legal system I hope it's one of yours that gets caught so that "you" experience the HELL and destruction of our wonderous juvenile corrections system. College for future criminals. Force the parents to take away the car so they have to ride the bus better yet make em walk.
Franklin Today December 20, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Say didn't they do this last year to get out earlier for Christmas Break too!
Mike in OC December 20, 2012 at 02:08 PM
I didnt hear about this until I read it on the Patch.... funny how we get automated phone calls if there is a sickness outbreak at the schools or if a child is late for a class.... and weekly emails about our lunch account balance as well as weekly updates on their grades...... but threats that are credible enough to make the news we aren't notified other than a letter sent home. SMH
Jennifer December 20, 2012 at 02:13 PM
This is an issue that must be taken seriously by our school district and police and it seems like they are. The communication issue is not unusual for the Oak Creek administration. We should not be surprised by it. Just part of how it goes with here with the board and district administrator. She made time to make sure her name is in the newspaper but no communication till later to the parents.
OC Mom December 20, 2012 at 03:13 PM
So my daughter still didn't get a letter. Supposedly they were handed out during 8th hour, but apparently her teacher either forgot or just didn't do it! In talking with other parents and police officers, it sounds like Friday will actually be one of the "safest" days for our kids to be at school since the police presence will be substantial.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »